ThankYOuComeAgin

Thanksforcoming..I hope we can enlighten eachother on this thing called life and enjoy Jesus at the same time!



Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Rant: A Theoretical Computer Shortage.

I am a one of a few college students that is without a personal computer. Mine died last year during my time in Ghana. In America's technological, and information driven society, where computers now fit into your pocket, its a wonder that I don't feel left behind. I choose not to own a smartphone, the computer on the other hand is a serious expense that I'm not ready to undertake. Being that I don't own one of those high tech, lighting fast machines, I depend on my university's library to provide my entrance to the information superhighway. For me the library is not a convenience its a necessity. So, imagine my angst when I arrive at the library, during the mid-afternoon (obviously peak time), only to find that almost every machine is in use. Now, I completely understand that the library is a resource to be utilized by every student, even members of the general public, and not myself alone. However it gives me great displeasure to find, on my earnest search of each successive floor, people with not one but two computers at their disposal. Seriously?! As I'm walking to and fro down the isles of this labyrinth of books, I see a spectacle that makes me want to scream.
There's a guy using his laptop, while simultaneously signed on to a desktop! When I clearly saw that he was only using his laptop, I politely asked if he were using the desktop as well, which he clearly was NOT. What was his response you ask? "Yes I'm using both" and he arbitrarily clicked the mouse to show me his activity. Why lie my friend? It is obvious that you are abusing your rights the to the university's computers, when there are myriad students, myself included, in dire need ( I exaggerate) of one. I hid my disdain for this patron's dishonest remarks and quietly strolled away.

Things I'll never understand.
Akos

No comments: